For employees

To keep the French Tech momentum going, our startups will have to hire thousands over the coming years. Enter French Tech Visa for employees, probably the most accessible startup employee visa in the world.

Step 1.

To be eligible for the French Tech Visa as an employee, you must have:

  • a work contract with a minimum duration of 3 months with a French company eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa*
  • a gross annual salary of at least twice the French minimum wage (€40,295 as of august 1, 2022).

Step 2.

Sign your official work contract (make sure that it is signed and stamped by your future employer as well). And ask your employer for the official letter attesting that the company is eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa.

Step 3.

Apply for your long-stay visa and residence permit.

If you live outside of France: Apply for a long-stay visa and residence permit marked “Passeport Talent” from the French Consulate nearest your official residence no earlier than 3 months before the date of your arrival in France. You will need to provide several documents as part of your application. Once in France, you will present your long-stay visa at your local Préfecture (French government administrative office) which will then issue your residence permit.

If you already live in France under a different type of residence permit : Apply for a change of status at your local Prefecture. You must apply at least two months before the previous residence permit expires.

On top of the official letter attesting that your employer’s company is eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa, you will need to provide several documents as part of a standard application. Contact the French Prefecture or French Consulate nearest you to obtain this list.

*To give you an idea of the type of documents you will need, you can download this list of documents that must be submitted with an application for a ‘Talent Passport’ residence permit for an employee. Please note that this list is provided for informational purposes only. Make sure you contact the consular, diplomatic or prefectural authority that will be handling your application to obtain a list of required documents appropriate to your personal circumstances.